Thursday, September 07, 2006

The legend of Sananapo

The story of Sananapo is told by his dog soon after his death. It has also been recorded by choirs and a number of artists.

I’m putting it up here because it’s a popular song among African families, and strangely enough, I couldn’t find the lyrics on the Internet.

Anyway, translated, Sananapo’s dog says:

Sananapo, Sananapo 2 X
They have killed him, Sananapo
Then they tried to give me his bones, Sananapo
I do not eat human flesh, Sananapo
I will certainly not eat my royal master, Sananapo

Setswana version says:

Sananapo, Sananapo 2 X
Ba mmolaile, Sananapo
Ba mpha lesapo, Sananapo
Sapo ka gana, Sananapo
Ga ke je motho, Sananapo
Ga ke je mong wa me, Sananapo
O a thebe ya kgosi, Sananapo!

These are not full lyrics of the song. If you know the full song, including the part of how Sananapo was killed, please let me know.

1 comment:

Winnsor said...

I REMEMBER THE SONG BUT NOT THE FULL STORY. COULD YOU SUGGEST A BOOK WITH THIS AND OTHER SIMILAR STORIES.