Friday, September 01, 2006

Grandfather, what's wrong with you?

I first learnt this song when I was in school primary school, while we were learning about our bodies.

Batswana mothers also sing the song to put their babies to sleep, and I was no different when Baby was small. Dont know if the song was originally in Setswana, or if it's a translation.

Ntatemogolo o tswa kae kajeno
Ke tswa kwa sepetlele godimo ga thaba
O bolaiwa ke eng?
Ke tlhogo, magetla, sehuba le letheka
Mangwele le menwana
Mangwele le menwana

O bolaiwa ke eng?
Ke tlhogo, magetla, sehuba le letheka
Mangwele le menwana
Mangwele le menwana

Rough English translation

Child: Dear grandfather, where are you from today
Grandfather: I come from the hospital at the top of the hill
Child: And what is wrong with you?
Grandfather, (indicating the mentioned body part):
My head, my shoulders, my chest and my waist
My knees and my toes x2

Child: What is wrong with you?
Grandfather, (indicating the mentioned body part): My head, my shoulders, my chest and my waist
My knees and my toes x2

No comments: